Thursday, October 22, 2009

THOMAS MARION HANKS JUNIOR

Yesterday my dear brother Tom and sister-in-law Talitha had a terrible tragedy in their lives, that has in turn affected all of us. Born as a stillborn, Thomas Marion Hanks Jr. was a healthy boy who just a few days before had his cord twisted and passed away with no pain as he slept. Many emotions have become of this, and it is very hard to deal with. Why, when there are so many horrible parents out there, are these two wonderful, loving and amazing parents left with such a horrible, painful tragedy? I read some words of comfort by the Prophet Joseph Smith which read:

"why is it that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us?...The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again."

I know that little Tommy is with our Savior. I know that our Savior loves every one of us, and has reason and purpose for all that happens. As I held my little nephew in my arms, my eyes filled with tears, and my heart aching, I also felt the love of God. I was understanding and so grateful for the eternal plan of salvation that our Heavenly Father has prepared for us. In an attempt to help with any grieving (Tom and Talitha's, my own or any others) I wrote the following poem. I love my family so much, and am so lucky to have all of them in my life. God bless you Tom and Talitha. I pray for your peace and happiness. You were chosen to carry a special son. The title is "Thomas Marion Hanks Junior" which is only appropriate.

A turn like this one can never explain
The loss of something more than just life
Emptiness, filled with confusion and pain
May overcome us during this bitter strife.

Yet there were few who knew of this
And found that soon would be death’s kiss
Their purpose was for the Eternal good
Even though they’d be misunderstood.

THEY are those who now embrace
Our Heavenly Father and YOUR lovely son
For he is saved with pure love and grace
And the sacrifice of the Atoning One.

Together, in joy, they are once again
As He received Thomas with arms open
May we find ourselves with peace in heart
Because of His Love, WE’RE NEVER APART.
I LOVE YOU TOM JR., and look forward to the day we meet and embrace!!!! Look after us!

5 comments:

Tolbert Family Blog said...

That is a wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it Mike!

Unknown said...

Mike, that was beautiful!!! I'm so sorry for your loss please let me know if I can do anything for you.

The Starks said...

Im so sorry for the loss. Cute name for the little guy. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You have a wonderful talent!

Carla Hanks said...

Thank you Michael!!!! Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just got back into blogging a little bit, and I just read this post...makes me cry. I love you. I'm so grateful you got to hold Tommy Jr. I'm sure you'd agree that he has a very special spirit. Thank you so much for this beautiful poem we have hanging in him room.
Love you,
Talitha